Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Bryan is doing alright

Bryan’s surgery went well, he is now recovering. He will be in South Africa through November 7 which is his last visit with the surgeon. Most likely they will send him back to Malawi the following day. He and I both are ready for him to be back. I feel like I am not upholding to my marriage vow… you know the part where you say “through sickness and in health” but I guess when saying the vow one does not say the fine print, “If the government separates you while in sickness it is ok to be apart” especially because we really want to be together in our village but it is sort of impossible to have knee surgery in the village… not to mention unsafe and far from sanitary. With Bryan in South Africa he can recover in a nice hotel room with good food (that I don’t have to cook) and in a non demanding atmosphere unlike our village.

It is very strange for me to be alone in Malawi. Most don’t think about this, especially other volunteer here because most volunteers come by themselves and live and work by themselves. Bryan and I however are not the same, we at one time in our lives wanted to join Peace Corps on our own but when we got hitched we did not even mention our desires to join until a year later when we found we both had the same desire. But it had changed from “I” want to join Peace Corps to “We” want to join Peace Corps. So we applied, joined, left the U.S., arrived in Malawi, went through training, and even got placed in a village… all together. Because of this and other reasons it is very hard for me to go back to our village without Bryan.

Lucky for me the office here needs my help. Our receptionist who previously did the newsletter has taken another job and so the newsletter has fallen to those who have never done one before so I have offered to help and they are glad so at least I have work to do here. Keeping busy is how I best handle being here by myself.

I have some cool pictures of random Lilongwe, Malawi. Hopefully I will be able to post some of those pictures soon. I think you will enjoy them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love you both and are praying for you!!! I have a Thanksgiving package I will mail today!!! You will be able to celebrate Bryans return when it comes!
Mom and Dad R

Anonymous said...

Hey Kids,

Doc again. Got the check, put it back in my account and will be sending it to Mom Roggow to deposit in your account. Hopefully you should get it by December. Also, tell Chadaux not to worry, I'm sending him some special medicine for his knee. 18 "pills" that are mandatory to any recovery. Just to help you start planning the deposit will be $800, so hopefully that will dig a good well. It's no biggie it's God's money any way, He just told us to give it to you guys. The rest of it Sondra and I are shopping for you b/c we know how selfless you guys are and it would be hard for you to spend a dime on yourself. This way you don't have a choice, but you can share the spoils I suppose.

OSU's playing like OSU. Up 35-14 against TX w/ 12 mins left in the 4th. Final score OSU 35 TX 38. Not kidding. It was sickening. Hopefully I'll have better news for you later. Well, gotta go to sleep now. I can't wait to retire.

Doc