Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Noises you shouldn't hear at the Dentist

We had our dental appointments today, okay not even appointments, they told us to come at 9ish and they would try to fit us in this morning. We filled out the necessary paperwork (that yes is even required in Africa) and took a seat to wait our turn. This place is actually the Adventist Health center next door to the main Adventist Church in Malawi. So one half of the building we went into was the dentist and the other a clinic. Some time passed as we chatted and waited when all of a sudden an ear peircing screem came from the dentist side. Bryan and I looked at each other nervously then Bryan says “Not the kind of noise you want to hear at the dentisit.” Soon a young girl came out with a wad of gauze in her mouth, tooth in hand and a large smile as her Mom asked, "Was that you that screemed?!"

Luckily our visits with the dentist went well and we actually like this place a lot more than the other we went to last year. We both had cavities but are having them taken care of. Halfway through our visit to the dentist we started to hear funneral wailing… someone passed away on the clinic side (clinics can be hospitals here) so by the time we left the funneral service was taking place and lots of family and friends had gathered. What an experience!

2 comments:

Suzet said...

You are right those are sounds you do not want to hear at a dentist office! It reminded me of the movie Finding Nemo! It made me thin of the little boy in the waiting room and the look in his eyes.

Anonymous said...

I told you about my Malawian dental experience, right? When I got my chipped tooth? I had to remind the dentist to use the metal blanket when she went to take an xray, and then she wanted to to file down another tooth (that didn't have any problems) because she couldn't get the chipped tooth fixed right. I walked around for about a month with my mouth not closing quite right.... Miss you guys!