Tuesday, January 2, 2007

From the Heartland of America to the Warm Heart of Africa

We received our invitation from the Peace Corps, we are going to Malawi, Africa !
Comparisons
Population
Oklahoma
3,547,884
Malawi
13,013,926
Land Area (sq. miles)
Oklahoma
68,667
Malawi
73,620
Persons per sq. mile
Oklahoma
50.3
Malawi
176.8
Median age (years)
Oklahoma
36.5
Malawi
16.5
Life expectancy at birth (years)
Oklahoma
77.9
Malawi
41.7
Infant mortality rate (deaths/1000 births)
Oklahoma
6.8
Malawi
94.37
Per capita income (GDP - per capita)
Oklahoma
$23,517
Malawi
$600
Exchange rates
Oklahoma
1 dollar
Malawi
135 kwachas
Annual Rainfall (inches)
Oklahoma
19-48
Malawi
31-90
Temperature Range (ºF)
Oklahoma
24-93
Malawi
57-84

We leave February 25. We will be in Malawi approx March 1, 2007
Program: Environment

Job Title: Community NRM (Forestry Extension)

We have two scheduled Farewell gatherings so far
February 3, 2007 Saturday in Enid, OK a pot luck lunch followed by fun and fellowship February 4, 2007 Sunday in Oklahoma City, a come and go as you please starting at 1:30pm to 7:30pm

We will have information about Malawi and the Peace Corps so come and visit with us! If you can not make it to one of these and still want to visit with us please let us know! If these dates change due to our unpredictable Oklahoma weather we will let you know.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Hey guys,
I got your comment in my email. You can reach my at kmfornoff@gmail.com. Guess what -- I'm also Community NRM/Forestry Extension! I've been in contact with two others who are also in the same program. Shoot me an email and I'll give you more info.
Matt

Anonymous said...

The language is Chichewa or chiChewa, and also known as Nyanja or chinyanja. Chi means langugae. I found one website where you can listen to a portion, and other sites that tell you more about the language. I didn't find anyplace where I can order.
Look at these sites and let me know if you have a place you want me to contact other than what I found.
You can find all my contact information in Zion's directory or call pastor.
Audrey Eggers