Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Malawi Music Project

Last week we assisted in putting on the Malawi Music Project (Band Camp!). Bryan was to video the whole event for a documentary... wish you could have helped Shakesphere! I was a camp counselor (just making sure the kids were on time to classes) and photographer.

The kids got to go on a game drive and saw waterbuck and elephants...



Lesson on sound waves. Beat a drum over plasic with rice on top.


H.E.L.P. Malawi sent 3 band members and 7 students to learn




Sarah, the volunteer hosting, also had the band from her village attend. Notice the village made instruments.


Dance session! See Bryan videoing?


Banjo parts lesson


Each band worked together and learned to build a banjo!




Bottle blowing music!


We are now in the middle of the Print Design training, more later!

6 comments:

Suzet said...

What a neat experience! Did you learn to make a banjo too? Praying training is going great.
Love you lots,
Mom

Keah Payne said...

Yeah... I am not sure I would remember the correct measurments, but I could make one... The PCV who taught the kids learned from Fox Fire books! And he does awesome work!!!

Shawna said...

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hehe, well I wish I coulld have been there for that. every one keeps asking me when I'm going back.... it makes me sad... but I tell them someday. I love you lots and hope all is going well!!!!!! i miss you guys!

Mom and Dad Payne said...

OH my goodness is the documentary for the World History Class? What a great class for the young people in Malawi. I would love to hear all about this.
I have tried to call a few times. Are you back at your site?

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! Thanks for sharing the experience. I can't wait to see wht the kids learned when I am out in Feb. Let me know if you want me to transport anything for you.
oxxo

Richwhenpoor said...

Hi! I'm headed over to start my service in Malawi in late Feb. 2010. So excited to help with stuff like this. Please let me know if you post the video somewhere.