Thursday, July 31, 2008

As July comes to an end...

We find ourselves in our boma (capital of the district) where Africare has a field office (the one we are placed with). They have many computers and now even wireless internet... but they do not know anything about anti virus stuff here. You see when a computer gets so bogged down with viruses they just take them in to the "shop" to get fixed... in other words in the mind of these people it is broken. But what those "shops" don't tell these people or do for them is put free anti virus stuff on. I guess that insures more business to the "shops".

Bryan being the computer wiz has taken on the job of debugging them all... a simple thing you may think but there is always that one virus that of course all computers in the same office will have that is determined not to be removed! Luckily instead of being paid (because we are volunteers and working with Africare anyway…) they are treating us like royalty, taking us out to eat, then putting us up at very nice places for the night and providing transport to and fro!

In the village…


The weather is wonderful, more of a real winter than we had last year, cool and even here in the boma cold weather! It is wonderful!

We have constructed ourselves a solar dryer… it is much better than setting the fruit in the sun unprotected from insects and falling mango flowers…


We are currently drying lots of masaw and even some papaya.



Yes our Mango trees have flowered and now they are dropping their billions of tiny pale flowers everywhere and in everything. We have even noticed tiny very immature mangos falling. They are the shape of the true ripe fruit only miniatures! Soon it will be raining mangos again!




One of our neighbor girls injured her toe and Bryan helped show her proper care to keep it clean and healthy… It looked like she had lost part of her toe when she first came over but after a deep clean we saw it was just the dirt and swelling, it is really just a flesh wound. She handled the whole thing amazingly, not one ouch or tear the whole scrubbing process, surprised both Bryan and I!

We have had so many masaw that after filling the solar dryer we decided to introduce pie to our neighbors… very simple thing and so very tasty! They all loved it a lot!



Finally I leave you with this photo… of a minibus lot. Bryan and I laughed and thought of Animal when we saw the brush (probably more like goat) guide here!

4 comments:

Suzet said...

Wow that pie looks good!!!! Great photos as always. WE love you!
Mom R

Jon Werner said...

I can't believe I'm saying this but, I MISS THE MINIBUS!!!! I know it's crazy, but it's true. I love the blog... keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hi Keah and Bryan,

This is my first attempt to do this. I hope it works, Your pie realy looked good. I'm sure everyone enjoyed it. I enjoyed the wonderful vacation with your Mom and Dad and Aunt Cindy and Uncle Lance and all the kids. I Miss you and pray for you. Love Nanna

Anonymous said...

Been worshipping with Ugandans, and it just made me miss you guys. It's great to see all the update and all the excitment. Can't wait till I get to come and visit.